Pending news in our “FAUX-POE” CONTEST!
About this event:
IF you entered our FAUX-POE competition, please keep an eye out here since we’re going to announce the winners in the not-so-distant future. Whether you made a submission, or simply want to see the results, we think you’ll enjoy our news.
Our first ever “FAUX-POE Contest” happened in April 2015, and we welcome original poetry that closely resembles Poe’s structure, style, and voice, with the aim to create poetry that Poe himself may be proud to call his own.
Our jury will choose winners, including “BEST FAUX-POE” that will glean 6 free 2015 day-passes to the Edgar Allan Poe House & Museum (plus several other categories that offer serious bragging rights.) This contest is designed to inspire, inform, and enlighten POE-tic creativity.
Just so you’ll get the basics, here’s what we originally announced:
In commemoration of our favorite poet in April, throughout National Poetry Month, we’re welcoming creative entries to our “FAUX-POE Poetry Contest” with the following constraints:
- Poems must be original, and verified to be written by you, and submitted anytime until 11:59pm April 30
- Poets of all ages are welcome to submit their works (though if you are under 18 years of age, please include contact information of an adult that we may contact, and only first name and last initial will be publicized)
- Only ONE poem may be entered per writer (sorry, we must avoid receiving an avalanche of entries)
- Poems may be no longer than 1085 words (the word count of Poe’s famed “The Raven”)
- Poems must be submitted in English (sorry—we’re fairly monolingual in this regard)
- We suggest that your poem will Poe’s writing style– featuring appropriate words, rhythms, themes, and structure. Please aim for a submission that resembles Poe’s poetry with the intention that you could imagine Poe being thrilled to add this to his archive
- All entries must be sent as a single document or upload to poebaltimoreexhibits (at) gmail.com, and will include: the poet’s first and last name, valid email address, postal address, date the poem was written, and title of your poem
- We welcome writers to upload their poem to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PoeBaltimore?fref=nf ; please share your favorite poem(s) to glean audience awards for poems receiving the most “likes”
- Entrants will retain copyright of her/his work, yet agree to let us feature their poem online at our website and Facebook page, and in printed matter for no fee
- Poe Baltimore retains the right to delete online entries that appear unrelated to Poe’s legacy
THE FINE PRINT:
Decisions: Our panel of judges consists of Poe Baltimore enthusiasts. All decisions made by the judges are final.
Fees: There are no entry fees for this contest, no purchase is necessary, and there is no financial obligation to enter or win the contest.
Copyrights: The author retains all copyrights to their submitted poem. Winning poems will appear on www.poe.baltimore.org and in our “Poe Baltimore” Facebook page, with the copyright notice intact. Should we choose to publish in a forthcoming anthology, we would ask for that permission without a fee. By entering the contest, you consent to the publication of your poem online if it is selected as a winning entry.
Notification: Winners will be announced by May 15, 2015. Winners are notified by phone, email, or standard mail. Names of the winners and their respective poems may appear on our website and Facebook page (see above.)
Legalities: No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Sponsored by Poe Baltimore, Inc. All rights reserved. All information provided herein pertains to this 2015 contest, and this information may update or change with announcements made at www.Poe.Baltimore.org and the Poe Baltimore Facebook page.