Open every Thursday through Sunday 11am – 4pm. Reservations are required.
The Edgar Allan Poe House, a National Historic Landmark, is open to visitors throughout the year. Please visit our events page to check for holidays or special event schedules.
Poe’s home is in an excellent state of preservation with much of the exterior and interior original fabric from the 1833-1835 period when Edgar lived there with his aunt, grandmother and two cousins. While the house is not furnished, visitors walk on the same floors, stairs and wander within the original plaster walls and woodwork that Edgar lived with.
Exhibits tell the story of Edgar Allan Poe’s life and death in Baltimore and significant artifacts such as Edgar’s portable writing desk and chair, and a telescope, china and glassware used by Edgar when living with the Allan family in Richmond, Virginia. Changing exhibits and tours are scheduled from time to time.
Poe Baltimore is an affiliate of the American Writers Museum.
An Important Note to Visitors: There are no restroom facilities in the House and Museum (though we can recommend nearby facilities.) The House is also not accessible to handicapped visitors and/or service animals but a video tour is available on this website. The House is small with tight winding staircases and may not be suitable for all visitors.
While the exact dates of composition for Poe’s works is often complicated, it is reasonable to assume a number of stories, poems, and reviews were written by Poe during his stay on Amity Street.